If budgeting were easy, then everyone would do it because the advantages are huge and irrefutable. In that sense budgeting is like exercise. During the first segment of this seminar there are two things you should do. First, take comfort that everything stated in this seminar will be taken into account in the materials ahead. The more you get convicted in this chapter, the more encouraged you should feel because you will know this material is written for you.
Second, talk with your spouse. This is another opportunity to learn about one another and create an atmosphere where it is safe to acknowledge your fears and weaknesses. It is easy to forget that how you talk about money is as important for protecting your marriage as what you decide. This is an opportunity to unplug these conversations from a triggering crisis and have them with a more neutral atmosphere.
This evaluation (Evaluation – Financial Beliefs and Character) is meant to help a couple assess whether shared beliefs about finances and their character create an environment that promotes marital unity and financial freedom. Before a budgeting tool can be effective, we must evaluate the two people who will be jointly using that tool.
Several of the plumb lines from the first section of this seminar will include:
- When you master the #1 cause of marital division you will find that it can be the #1 cause of marital unity.
- Everything that we have (i.e., money, time, ability, relationships) is a gift from God.
- Trying to spend your way to security or happiness is a recipe for insecurity and despair.
- If we cannot afford it, we do not deserve it.
- When you spend money you are spending your life – the time you traded for that money.
- Managing your money well is like getting a raise.
- You will treat those closest to you like you treat your money.
- God’s will fits in God’s provision.
In this first section you will learn to:
- Identify the 20 most common challenges to managing marital finances well
- Learn what a budget really is
- Outline the important information you need to gather to have a long-term functional budget
Creating a Gospel-Centered Marriage: Foundations
Topics: Budgeting in a Way that Enhances Your Marriage
Dates: August 4 and 11, 2012
Times: 4:00 to 5:30 pm and 6:00 to 7:30 pm
Location: The Summit Church, Brier Creek South Venue
Address: 2415 Presidential Drive; Durham, NC 27703